Monday, July 20, 2020

In Memorium: John Lewis

EDMUND PETTUS.....YOU MEMBER HIM SURELY  

 
Well, maybe.  It takes a true Civil War scholar to be sure, but he was "a senior Confederate officer," a slavery advocate, an Alabama US senator for ten years, and the Grand Dragon of the KKK.  So Alabama honored him by naming a bridge for him at Selma.


Fast forward to March 7, 1965.  A totally non-violent protest march for black voting rights, is peacefully heading  to Montgomery for a rally. All went well until they reached Selma. There, on the Edmund Pettus bridge, state and local police violently broke up the march, and in the process clubbed one of its leaders, John Lewis, so badly that he nearly died of a fractured skull.  The true horror of this uncalled for event can be seen in the old black and white TV newsreels which have been playing the last few days.


Fast forward again. John Lewis is now a nationally recognized civil rights leader, a top aide to Dr. Martin Luther King, and for 30 years a US Congressman  from Georgia until he died from cancer last week. Dubbed "the conscience of the House," his role was to move America toward fulfilling the promise of our democracy for ALL its citizens. If  Alabama has a shred of decency left, it will rename that bridge the John Lewis bridge.


And it won't have to pull any statues down.

I'm just sayin'...

1 comment:

  1. I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/ Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete