Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Random Thoughts And A Plea

Over the weekend I saw a man object to wearing a mask. "I'm not going to wear a mask," he said on a network newscast, "to make some one else comfortable."

Comfortable?
 

How about alive?


And maybe even keeping you alive?


What is this nonsense about wearing a mask violates my Constitutional rights? Where in the Constitution? How? (and sending federal troops to keep down protesters doesn't?) And I mean NON-violent protesters! How in hell setting fire to a courthouse door in Portland aids Black Lives Matter and respects the memory of George Floyd escapes me!


As a journalist I have been worried about this for some time, and as an old college activist, I have worried over the so called "Hong Kong pro-democracy movement." We need a better, more accurate phrase in the media to describe them. Yes they were fighting the good cause, but their tactics were deplorable. Violence, arson, looting, all in a Good Cause.  Meadow Muffins!


And, at times, these bad acts have infected Louisville, Lexington, and other cities. Breonna Taylor's family has  deplored the violence on her behalf, that should be enough.
And all this while John Lewis was being memorialized in Selma and Washington and Atlanta as "a peaceful warrior for Justice."


Let the NON violent protests continue until America lives up to her lofty origins for all, and respect the unbroken line that stretches from John Lewis to Dr. King to Ghandi and so many in history---to Jesus.

I'm just sayin'...

No comments:

Post a Comment