Monday, March 19, 2012

TO MY FELLOW PROCRASTINATORS

I guess to err is human; to put things off may be even more so.

And I am, or can be, a procrastinator.

I just wish public officials would be better about this; those chickens come home to roost, and cause problems for the rest of us.

Two items in the continuing debate over budgets,on the city and state level, come to mind. Because properly funding pensions of public employees were put off for years, both by Lexington and Kentucky, that bill has now come due and it is much higher than it would have been had the job not been put off at the time. And we, you and I, pay the higher bill.

Same with "deferred maintenance." Our new UK president has properly complained about dorms and offices needing repairs and upgrades, because scheduled repairs were put off in years past. Now the bill is higher. And who pays that higher bill? Students, parents, Kentuckians.

Mark my words: while an attempt is being made, seriously, to get state and city pensions under control, some things will be put off, again, probably maintenance issues; for streets and highways and schools; you name it.

Darn, I wish my elected officials weren't such procrastinators...but 'tis easier to not raise taxes by putting off needed expenditures and pass the higher bill on to later officials and taxpayers than to deal with it now.

It may be human nature..as well as political expediency..but drat, I wish they were better people than the rest of us, even me.

Now, let me end writing this: I've got to go figure out if I can put off working on my taxes to another day, not as nice as this lovely spring morning. I think I'll wait til the next stormy day.

I'm just sayin'...

No comments:

Post a Comment