Monday, April 16, 2012

Sadly, I Think This Speaks Volumes

UPDATE: By midweek the Herald-Leader had tracked down the Pikeville city manager who said he had authored the plaque's wording, and that it was an innocent mistake; especially since he wrote "its" and the computer software changed it to the incorrect "it's."

Well, we all know haste makes waste, although how an engraver can leave out an "e" on "the" and NOT catch it is beyond me.

As to the computer software screwing up, boy do I believe that. I don't trust "spel checkur" at all, having seen too many "historic sights" and "scenic sites". among many others.

What we are all scared of is a national reaction which typically goes something like this: "those ignorant hillbillies are at it again"--and well we might. First word I got of this was last Friday when a former staffer of mine, now retired in another state, spotted it on an obscure website neither of us had ever heard of. And for 3-4 days all local media, so far as I know, ignored the story--or worse, didn't catch the mistakes!. If they were really concerned about the national reaction, they would have tried to head it off as soon as possible. They didn't.

So now, in my humble opinion, "its" going to keep coming back to haunt us, just as "th" Hatfield-McCoy feud does.

I'm Just Sayin'...


Can anybody tell me what's wrong with this picture?

No comments:

Post a Comment